Saturday, February 14, 2009

Mommy, Where Does God Live?

I spent some time in my life thinking that I didn’t believe in God. Actually, I think it was more that in the back of my mind I knew there was a God but that it didn’t really matter because it was too difficult for me to being living the life I was living and think of myself as a follower of God.

After that I adopted this sort-of agnostic philosophy: If there is a God, he (he/she/it…for intents and purposes here I will continue using he) knows I am a good person, and as long as he knows that, I am not worried about the little rules and regulations of religion.

I still feel that organized religion can suck the goodness out of God’s lessons, but within the first year after I had my daughter I had an epiphany. I was sitting on the love seat, the only sitting furniture in our tiny apartment besides a rocking chair, with my man one night. We were talking about religion and how the formalities and regulations of it ruin Christian spirituality. I stated the philosophy in the above paragraph.
We began speaking about miracles and decided that our daughter was a miracle. All babies are miracles.

That’s when it hit me like a blinding, yet gentle light. I know there is a god. I have always known; I just didn’t want to believe it. This realization suddenly made certain things much easier. I could explain death to my daughter. I could pray and give thanks for receiving her.

The idea of church still does not appeal to me. I ask too many questions. I find too many inconsistencies. I have too much to say about how the bible has been rewritten so many times.

Our relationship with God is personal. There is nothing wrong with worshipping together. In fact, I understand the need that others have for the church type of community as described by Jeff Lindsay is his blog-post entitled “Jesus Alone – No Need for Church.” I understand the need for support from those who have the same beliefs. But I feel that my spirituality is my own and I choose to share it with my family: my man and my daughter. I try to be supportive of others, spiritually or otherwise, everyday. And I feel I receive more from encountering a vast array of people since my sensibilities seem to be somewhat…strange. (I should also probably throw in here that in a way I am glad for churches. I love the aesthetics of ancient churches and want to tour those in Europe.)

Some months ago I found myself making comments to my daughter referencing God. She asked me why our noses are the way they are and I answered “Because that is how God made us.” The first time she asked me who God was I was speechless. Her three year-old attention span kicked in and she was distracted from her question by something outside of the car window. When we got home I told her father that I wasn’t sure what to say and I basically got scolded for not answering her. I went to her and told her that God is everywhere and he made everything. She accepted that answer and moved right along.

Not long after we began having discussions about the idea that God made everything. We turned it into a favorite type of game. When she has learned a new concept she will ask me to say something and she will tell me yes or no. For example, to teach the difference between lying and telling the truth and lying and pretend I would say something to her and ask her which it was. “Angelina hit me. Is this a lie or the truth? Mommy turned into a monster with blue teeth. Is this pretend or a lie?” For the God made everything scenario I let her ask me the questions. She asked me if God made puppies. I said yes. She asked me if God made houses. I told her “No. People make houses, but God made the stuff that the people use to make the houses.”

Last month my daughter and I were roaming the isles at a craft store. Near the front was a large picture of President Obama. I asked L if she knew who was in the picture. She got a very bright look on her face and in a hopeful tone she said “God!” (Please don’t tell my mother this. I fear she may be close to saying the president I voted for is the anti-Christ). I corrected her with a giggle and when I asked her the same question last night during Obama’s press conference made sure to tell her it wasn’t God first.

Last week my sister called me as we were leaving to take L to day care to tell me that her friend did indeed deliver her baby, but that he was born with a fever, had stopped breathing for a minute, and was sick. Before ending the call I told her I would pray for her friend and her son. I hung up and thought this would be a good time to explain to L what praying is. I asked if she knew what it was and she responded she did not. I told her that praying is when you talk to God. I asked her if she remembered my sister’s friend and she said she did. I told her that she had a baby, that the baby was sick, and that I was going to pray to ask God if it was ok with him, that he makes sure the baby got better. And with the utmost conviction L asks me “Well, what did he say?” It doesn’t get much better than a three year-old asking questions like this. I told her that God doesn’t usually answer with words, that we would just have to wait and see if the baby got better.

The other night in the car she said she wanted God for her birthday that’s coming up in a few months. We got to tell her that you have God everyday, not just on your birthday.

Last night L asked me where God lives. I told her everywhere, but then told her that God lives in Heaven. She said, “No. What road does he live on?” (She just learned our address). I told her I wasn’t sure if there are roads in heaven. She told there are and that they are dirt roads. Giggle, giggle.

It amazes me how easily children of this age grasp the concept of God. Maybe we adults over complicate it. Oh, the lessons I learn from my child.

12 comments:

  1. I had to laugh at Obama being God. Haha.
    As a child my mom took me to church and I hated it. I don't know if I just hated waking up early on Sundays or if I hated my CCD classes or what it was but I pretty much grew away from religion. Since then I've accepted a philosophy of agnosticism as well. To me seeing is believing. I know that I'm supposed to have 'faith' but I am just not that grounded in abstract things/ideas.
    I don't know how I will bring my kids up- I may take them to church because I do like the values that it instills. Usually it promotes manners and just general politeness- I think at least. I will definitely allow them the option to choose whatever they believe in.
    I think it's great that your daughter is so inquisitive already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to hear that your daughter is developing so well, and so bright and thoughtful. You really encourage that aspect of her, and I'd bet she's going to grow up exceptional. As to church and spirituality, I was brought to church from a young age (Methodist) and once I could start asking questions I was allowed to decide what I believed. My Mom and I had so many great discussions on God, faith, and love. From those discussions I figured out so much about spirituality and thought as well. It also gave me a love of questions and debate that has served me well always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That makes me think of that song, and maybe you know it, Help Pour Out The Rain by Buddy Jewel. It is a country song if you like county, but a great one even if you don't. But the most wonderful things said in the world are from children. They are the cause for so much happiness and laughter in my life especially. My cousin the other day (she is 3) stands up in her chair at my sisters birthday dinner at Olive Garden and announces "I went in the pool with my Foaty!" My sister, her boyfriend, and I start rolling laughing. My sister's boyfriend says, "I like to swim with a forty too!" Which is exactly what it sounded like. So I asked her, "what is a forty?" She starts to use hand signals to demonstrate a FLOATY the goes around her waist and arms while saying, "A FOATY" and while your daughter is more questionable about things, it is still funny to hear them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was raised in a Mormon family. Church was very long and boring and I used to sneak out of sunday school. I learned a great many values that stick with me today, even if I don't really consider myself a Morman anymore. I will take L to church when she is older (and if she wants to) so she can learn the different aspects being taught. She can decide. I would sometimes go to a Catholic church my my paternal grandparents and it was like a whole other world with the robes and incense and chanting (or praying, or whatever). It prompted me to ask many questions. L has been very inquisitive from the beginning so I know she will ask more the more she learns. Here first sentence was "What's that?"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Musing Azreal - Thank you for your comment about me encouraging my daughter. That means a lot. I really try to entice her little mind. I ask her what she thinks of many things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Though I am not a "churchie," I would recommend looking into Unitarian Universalism" if you ever want to get back to an "organized" religion. I scare quote organized here since UU is structured around democratic questioning (basically a group of people agreeing to disagree). It might fit your attitude.

    Personally, I'm one of those run-of-the-mill secular (post)humanists running about academia. But, hey, as long as you voted for Obama, all's good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. SO, I had no idea what secular humanism was. Wikipedia has become my friend. I suppose I share a lot of beliefs (maybe not the right word to use when talking about secular humanism) with secular humanism. We come back to the idea that what we know of ethical reasoning from the bible is only base guidelines. The rest we try to figure out as we go along. Or in the case of most organized religion, try to derive rules from somewhere and say they are God's. It's that whole throwing a line to the drowning thing I quoted in my last post...I think.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww I love little kids. They have the most amazing ways of thinking.

    The Obama thing priceless, that is something you will remember forever. Also I think it was a great idea to play the lie or pretend game, instilling honesty at an early age is key. My step siblings were actually taught to lie by their mother, while my brother and I the opposite. Being the oldest, I find it very hard to explain to my twelve year old lil step bro, that lying is bad, since he learned from a very young age to lie.

    Children are amazing, they are miracles. It is very interesting to me, how they reflect human nature at its purest. They lack racism and all other disgusting traits acquired with age. When we stop and watch what our children are doing, we can learn better how to live as better people.

    I can't wait till I have found my wife and started a family. But that won't be for a while, have to finish school/get a job first. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree I have learned so much from my daughter. maybe I will write a post about that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Reading this makes me want to have a child. However, I am aware of how unaware I would be with all the responsibilities that would come with parenting, especially working full time and going to school, as well. I tip my hat off to you for doing all the above. Saying that, I love how you are dealing with the God situation and teaching your daughter in a very passive-aggressive manner. I've always had religion shoved down my throat since childhood by my strongly spirited mother. That strategy has it's pro's and con's. But 21 years later and still a devout Roman Catholic, I can honestly say, I am still confused with God and his plans for me and humanity. Sometimes I wonder if there is a God. This is why it is good to be open-minded on the subject and not judge too harshly because no one really knows... Anyways, just wanted to give you some encouragement for your parenting skills and wish the best for you and your family's spiritual fait,.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, packersmwood. Hang in there. Be a good person and remember that the meaning of life is to give life meaning. You'll be ok.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have friends in many different “religions” Jehovah Witness, Seventh Day Adventist, Mormon, Catholics, Bahia, and Judaism. Being raised Catholic I questioned “religion”. Was God all about rituals? How could I be good enough to get to heaven?

    Then I came to understand that God wanted have a “personnel relationship” with us through His Son Jesus Christ. That Jesus died on the cross to make blood atonement for our sins and rose from the dead to defeat death. Therefore, we do not have to be good enough, because He paid the price. He will transform me into the person He desires me to be. All I have to do is except Him for whom He is, repent (turning away from my sinful life style which He empowers us to do so), and spend time with Him through prayer and reading of His Word. It is not about religion, it all about relationships.

    God originally desire that we fellowship with Him (hang out together). Genesis chapters 2 & 3.

    ReplyDelete