Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Enter the Rockin’ Mommy Blog.

The idea for this blog was birthed from a dilemma brought to surface in one of my attempts to persuade a friend of mine to move back to Florida. We discussed that neither of us were succeeding in finding mommy friends. We simply do not have much in common with the moms we meet, other than the fact that we have children. Some moms cannot even get past my tattoos and lip ring long enough to hear me speak on my parenting philosophies, teaching philosophies, or anything else.

This blog will be written from the perspective of a mom from the radical end of the conservative/radical spectrum. Here I can not only share and engage in conversation with other parents like me, but hopefully open the eyes of those more conservative, show them that just because a person has tattoos or piercings, or dyes his or her hair unnatural colors, does not mean that he or she is a bad parent.

The main focus of this blog will be parenting, but I will mix it up a bit. I want to give my perspectives on parenting and provide other parents with respectable resources. In addition to my wisdom (or opinions, depending on how you want to look at it), postings could include links to hard to find alternative clothing (for adults and children), introducing new music (for adults and children), tattoo artist finds, art finds, good literature, and any thing else that appeals to me or that I think might be enjoyed.

I want to encourage other parents to share their thoughts, experiences, and findings, and ask questions. I enjoy the want for networking without competition. Everyone is welcome. I want to offer friendship and a place without judgment.

I hope to bring a new perspective to the online parenting network, like I tend to do away from the computer. I have a tendency to open people’s minds if I can just get them to listen, but as I have stated, getting them to listen is the hard part. I am often told “Before I talked to you I thought you looked really mean.” Again they could not look past my appearance long enough to see what was in my heart. This blog will be a chance to show what is in my heart without the restrictions of aesthetics (except for the ones I add).

Please, interact and enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. First! I'll do a real post later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the "formula is for pussies" onesie! Where did you find it?

    But other than that...I totally agree with what you are saying. It is hard to find people to conversate with. I mean, I am open to the "modern parent" thing and I am striving to be one myself, but it is hard to get past your raising sometimes. I was raised never get tattoos they're against God, but my husband has 9 so I'm struggling to find balance in an unbalanced society. But I can totally relate to the piercings thing. For me, I was completely into them because some are easy to conceal and are non-permanent, except for the scars. I think almost every kind of piercing is cool, except the marylyn monroe random one on the cheek drives me nuts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My parents don't have tattoos either. At first my mother was upset about mine. I remember asking her and she said "Your body is a temple," to which I replied "Yes, and I am decorating it." She says she doesn't mind them now. I know she is telling me the truth. She knows that I have grown into a good person so the outside look doesn't bother her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I forgot to answer your question. My sister gave me that onsie when my baby was...well, just a baby (she's 3, almost 4 now). I will ask her where she got it and let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your mindset behind creating this blog. The maternal role has long been stereotyped, and still today any moms who fit that stereotype have a hard time understanding the parenting techniques of moms outside the stereotypes. And, if they try to understand, it is often difficult for them to see it as effective in it's own. Yet, good moms can be found in any form. Tattoos don't mean that you leave your baby locked in their crib to go rave Saturday night. There is a passage in a book called Little Earthquakes that you would enjoy. It is by Jennifer Weiner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heh. Little Earthquakes. Isn't that a Tori Amos album? I will see if I can't find this book and take a look.

    ReplyDelete